Re: *GPL ... approaching 1990s?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:10:09AM +0100, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was contemplating to use LGPL for a small project of mine (in the
> end I've decided otherwise for other reasons) but I was again struck
> by the sheer nonsense of attaching 481 lines long COPYING.LGPL to
> 194 lines long script. Would there be anything wrong with replacing
> the standard LGPL copyright blurb with this acknowledging an
> existence of the Internet?
>
> 	This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> 	modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
> 	License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> 	version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later
> 	version.
>
> 	This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> 	but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> 	MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> 	GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
>
> 	A copy of the full GNU Lesser General Public License is
> 	available at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses\
> 	/lgpl-2.1.html (or some better URL).

Not if you're the original licensor of the work in question.

Otherwise, the orthodox and, it seems, generally accepted
best-practices view is that you actually do have to include a copy of
the license text.

The FSF has even provided a decent policy argument over this: there
are still many people in the world who have no or unreliable net
access, yet such people may receive copies of (L)GPL-licensed software.

Where the orthodox view has absurd results (some uses of the GPL on
JavaScript or fonts come to mind) then I think a different answer may
be reasonable. (See RMS's paper on the "JavaScript Trap" from a few
years ago.) But I wouldn't consider it necessarily absurd to include a
longer license text with a shorter script. It may call into question
the choice of the LGPL to begin with though. (That may not be an
unreasonable guideline: for a new project, never use a license that is
lengthier than the code you would be placing under it.)

Incidentally I believe there is a scholarly article by a UK lawyer (I
believe Neil Brown) that addresses this subject in serious detail,
published, I believe, in a past issue of IFOSSLR, so it should be
readily available.

- Richard