Re: Advice to choose a license

On 12/21/2010 07:18 PM, giallu@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm writing some new code for a PHP project I'd like to license with a
> permissive license, BSD or MIT. In the wiki I found a lot of variants,
> can anyone advice me which one would be better to use?
>
> Bonus points for a short one, as I'm going to add it on each file's header.

So, keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice,
Fedora is going to adopt the "MIT Modern Style with sublicense" variant
in the coming FPCA (the CLA replacement):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT#Modern_Style_with_sublicense

This is an extremely permissive license, and it even includes the right
for someone else to take it and change the license entirely
(sublicense). If you don't want that, you might consider 3 clause BSD
instead.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:BSD#New_BSD_.28no_advertising.2C_3_clause.29

hth,
~tom