Re: Reasons for not including MPlayer in main repository?

On 10/14/2010 04:35 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> Given that mplayer is already available in rpmfusion, I do not think
>> there is any merit in packaging a stripped version in Fedora, as it
>> would cause a conflict with rpmfusion.
>>
>> I would argue that your energy might be better spent on properly
>> modularizing the codec support in mplayer, but having dealt with that
>> upstream in the past, I suspect your energy might be better spent not
>> working on mplayer at all.
>>

> These might be true. However there is no policy in Fedora to prohibit
> packaging a legally acceptable version of mplayer.
>
> Stefan asks the question "How?" but you are giving an advise by
> answering the question "Should I?" or "Is it worth?". I am sure that
> if Stefan needed this advise he would have asked for it.
>
> So... "How?"

Assuming that an mplayer package was generated that did not conflict
with the rpmfusion mplayer packages, I would be willing to audit it.

Unfortunately, I cannot say "take these codecs out" or "take these files
out". I can't even say that upon doing the audit, to be fair. The best I
could say is that "yes, this is okay for Fedora as-is" or "no, it is
not". I realize how frustrating that is, which is why I am trying very
hard to discourage this course of action.

The maintainer would need to completely remove the source code for
problematic codecs and functionality from the tarball, as it cannot
appear in the source package at all. This would essentially make this
version a fork of mplayer, which would be an additional burden on the
maintainer that he/she should be prepared to accept in advance.

Using the items which exist in Fedora in gstreamer would be a useful
place to start, when trying to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

For the TLDR folks: This is a bad idea.

~spot