Re: font licensing

On 08/17/2010 01:18 PM, François Cami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please note than I am very far from being a lawyer.
>
> I would like to package a particular font for cultural reasons. Its
> glyphs can be used to render two languages and it has been created on
> behalf of an official government body for cultural purposes. That body
> is distributing it through its website. Unfortunately, the archive
> does not contain any licensing information. I emailed that particular
> government, and got a reply saying the font was "was developed for
> free distribution" and that the government "(allows the) public to
> freely download. It is copyrighted to <insert government body here>".
>
> I have read the licensing guidelines for fonts and I am aware that is
> not sufficient, as IIRC that means the font cannot be modified, and
> probably cannot be distributed by third parties. Am I right in
> believing this?

This is correct.

> I have asked them to add a copyright notice and a license to the zip
> file, preferably (of course) the SIL Open Font License 1.1.
>
> Any advice would be nice.

It never hurts to explain to them exactly what you want, with regards to
licensing rights.

In broad terms, you want:

* The right to freely use the font, without restrictions
* The right to modify the font, without restrictions
* The right to freely redistribute the font, without restrictions
* To be able to pass those rights along to anyone who receives a copy of
the font

Good luck!

~spot