Re: where? security updates for FC4

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 02:55:04PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Now that the Legacy project is shutting down, the biggest problem
> becomes the security updates. I have an FC4 server that I plan to keep
> running until CentOS 5 comes out, but I also have to apply security
> patches to this machine meanwhile.
>
> What would be the best source of security updates for FC4 short-term?

It depends of course on what you are running on this system, but at
the very least you will be concerned with the kernel. In theory you
can use any newer kernel, but usually you need to stick to the known
features and bugs of the kernel you are running.

So the best source for security updates is using sources from FC4 and
patching them with security fixes of issues being announced. But that
was exactly what FL was about and is too much work for a single
person/server.

So the true answer is: There are no security updates for FC4 and no
healthy way to provide some short of resurrecting FL.

My advice is to try to harden security in other ways (iptables,
fail2ban etc) and schedule either an upgrade to FC6 or a reinstall to
RHEL4/5 as soon as possible.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net