Re: Important information regarding the merger of core and extras, and what this means to Legacy

Quoting Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:06:57PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
First I would like to say to those who say Fedora Legacy has failed, that
it _did_ work (i.e. didn't fail) for the most critical time period and the
most critical OS version (RHL 7-9, FC1).  If it has failed, or is failing,
it must not be forgotten that before it failed it worked exceedingly well.

Or at least moderately well. Let's not over-sell. :)

I really think we did do incredibly well to start.  We were often faster
than others, and often had less bugs than others (e.g. Progeny, spelling?).

We've only had two major problems with releases (one where a kernel install
failed to update lilo correctly but worked with grub, and one where sendmail
didn't work correctly on some older RHL upgrades).  We did have to dump
RHL 8 quickly, and later RHL 7.2, but we stayed strong for a couple of
years on RHL 7.3 and RHL 9.  And did a pretty darn good job on FC1 also
IMHO.

Now we don't have much demand for RHL any more, and we've failed pretty
bad to get any timely updates out for FC 2 through FC 4, but that isn't
the initial period I was talking about.  That is the current situation,
which I admit hasn't gone well...

Second, I'm fairly comfortable with saying that if FC goes to a 13 month
support cycle, FL is basically not needed anymore.  IMHO, people can upgrade
once a year when presented with a known/documented release cycle, and known
documented alternatives.

One month of annual overlap is still a bit short.

_IF_ you want to use Fedora Core, you need to be willing to upgrade once
a year.  And the 13 month window gives you just this amount of time to
upgrade.  If you can't upgrade once a year, then you most certainly should
not be using Fedora Core.

My problem has always been I work in University settings where updates only
happen during breaks (Spring break, Summer break, or Winter break).  On the
current Fedora Core schedule, a release can come at any time, and leave me
unprotected (if not for FL) until the next University break comes along.
With 13 months, I can easily stay with a release until the next break period
when I can upgrade.  I really don't see a problem with the 13 month support
period, given Fedora Core's mission of being cutting edge.  You can't be
cutting edge, free/community-based, and support a release more than a year
or so...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics