Re: You Need Fedora Legacy!! Re: [fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Dave Stevens wrote:
> a confession of inadequacy is more of a preliminary than an answer
>
> Dave

Sorry, to butt in....

Maybe, what we need to do is have a re-organization of the idea of
FedoraLegacy instead of trying to overtax anyone.  Or chase anyone
away from helping.

Just some proposals:

(1)  Every new release into fedora legacy should start with a
collection of a group to manage the packages for that version.  And
only that version to help alleviate getting overwhelmed with multiple
platforms, dependencies, etc.  Yes, I know this may cause issues, but,
it may be better than the current situation of lagging releases and
other dependencies slowing the release of one package or another for
each platform.  Or having to just drop everything causing more
problems for others wanting updates.

(2)  Each FC version can be maintained by a different group, pushing,
etc the updates for that version only.  Of course, we can have a
supper user able to verify and validate everything pushed through by
the group (RH).

(3)  Make it easier for people to get involved.  Having a list of
packages and maintainers is OK, but, having a few people managing
large numbers of packages is very difficult.  I'd say a limit of 5-10
packages may be reasonable....  any more than that will cut out others
from helping.

(4)  Everyone needs to follow some rules when releasing anything for
testing...!  Very important.
     (a)  Email this list!!!!!!
     (b)  Include the bugzilla ID and or link to post checks against
the package.
     (c)  Try to include any steps to produce the problem reported by
CVE.  or have a link to such documentation to be sure the fix actually
fixes the issue.

(5)  Everyone verifying packages:
     (a)  Verify installation of the packages.
     (b)  Be sure the applications still WORK.  Installation is not
the only thing that should be verified.
     (c)  Be sure to check to be sure nothing is broken, to your ability.

Lastly, we really need to work together more!

- -James

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net