Re: lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

At 03:32 PM 10/24/2006, Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tuesday 24 October 2006 18:21, Mike McCarty wrote:
> These are interesting stats, and indicate that Linux may now be
> crossing the gap. I belive most offices are still firmly MS product
> houses, and a move to Linux would not even be considered. I know
> that every time I see a request for a resume, the format requested
> is MS Word.

Just because it's MSWord doesn't mean it is Windows... and even OpenOffice can export as Word native... so if someone wants Word format, Linux can deliver, as is PDF...

It's funny that if you create a text file, and put that MS specific .DOC extension, Word can read it just fine... it has converters to do that, and most corporate installs have it already in place.

Try it, you'll see...

Use on the desktop should not be tied to use in the server room.  You'll find
a MUCH higher usage of linux in the server room.  However since the majority
of the desktops are Windows, MS Word gets used a lot.  A really open cross
platform format should be used, such as PDF, but that's not a here nor there
question.

Linux is great in the server room/network closet. Linux runs every one of my servers on my home LAN, and I've been an advocate of Linux in the enterprise space to supplement/replace other platforms for servers. We can do it faster/better/cheaper (pick any three) in this arena...

On the desktop, it's another story... Sorry if I'm getting a tad bit into advocacy...

The KDE/Gnome folks have made excellent progress when you compare it to the shell or to CDE/OpenWindows... and it's a long way from NextStep (although OpenStep is working hard to resolve that vector).

The Linux Desktop - It's similar to where MacOS was in the early days of System6, and Windows 3.1 days... and those days weren't bad. The Windows Program Manager/File Manager was a good shell to launch modal applications, and Mac's Finder in System6 isn't much different as compared to what Gnome is using. MacOS6 plus MultiFinder

Win's OLE API's and Mac's Publish/Subscribe model at the system level is not really prevalent on the Linux desktop as of yet, however XMPP is a good step forward, if the desktop and apps folks buy into it...

There's a long way to go before Linux can really challenge WindowsXP and OSX on the desktop... challenge is good, it motivates folks, and that may be the bridge to resolving the main Linux desktop problem, which is the KDE/Gnome issue.

Until this is resolved, Linux will remain in the server room, where it is very suited, and will suffer on the desktop.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Tim
--
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

-Buddha