Re: Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:33:18 -0400, Eric Rostetter <rostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Quoting David Eisner <cradle@xxxxxxx>:

With the end of Legacy support for RH9, I'd like to migrate my Fedora
Legacified RH9 box to Centos 3.

Sounds reasonable.

I've used these directions in the past to successfully migrate from
non-legacy RH9 to Centos 3.1 using yum:

  http://www.owlriver.com/tips/centos-31-ex-rhl-9/

Any thoughts on whether this should also work with the .legacy packages?

Should work fine.  Sometimes you will find a dependency issue to work
around.  Often that means removing the old package.  Sometimes it might
mean changing yum's "exactarch=1" to "exactarch=0" to get around a
dependency issue caused by architecture changes (from i386 to noarch
or vise-versa, or from 32 bit to 64 bit, etc).

Generally it runs smoothly, but occassionally some thought must be put
into resolving some dependency issue...

One thing I don't see mentioned much.  First, do a "yum update" or
"yum upgrade" on the RHL 9 repo.  Then do a "yum clean" to free
up disk space.  Then do your yum upgrade to Centos.  Otherwise, you
will have your old RHL yum cache taking up a lot of space...

Thanks in advance.

-David

I'm still using RedHat 9 and up2date.
What would I have to do to upgrade to a fedora version?

--
Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html

Home pages:
http://www.xenodochy.org
http://www.ballroomdances.org
FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
(If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above page first!)
Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.