Re: lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 01:19:08PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> My email archive alone goes back
> into 1998 here.  Yes, there are backups, and I do them rather religiously
> at the feet of a gal named amanda, but it would still be a weeks work to
> get stuff back to the Just Works(TM) state here if I was to put FC5 on
> this box today.

Eh?  How come?  Not that I am trying to tell you "upgrade right now"
but I have around machines which went through numerous release
upgrades, some with original installations dating back to times
of RH6.x realeases or maybe even earlier, and it never took me
"weeks" to do such thing.  Rather small hours when most of the
time I was doing something else when a machine was busy installing
updated packages.

I am not trying to imply that there is no work involved.  It is
easier when you can do that over a network or from DVD, or otherwise
you have to babysit a machine and switch CDs from time to time,
but I never had a situation that such operation destroyed my data
or made a machine inoperable.

It is also true that after such step there is some cleanup to
perform; but with possible small exceptions this is not extremely
urgent and can be done here and there at your leisure.
'rpm -qa --last' will make you a list where possible "leftovers" are
easy to pick up and you should go through assorted '.rpmnew' and
'.rpmsave' files.  'locate' is of a great help here after you
updated its database.

On some occasions I did even such "nasty" things as
'rpm -Uvh --nodeps fedora-release*', with that rpm from a target
distro, followed by 'yum update "yum*" "rpm*" "python*"' and
after that 'yum update ...' (various things as needed), but such
trickery may require assorted "manual interventions" which depend
on what you really have already installed and falls into
"if you have to ask how to do that you should not be doing it"
category.  Still it worked fine in the final account (with
a different set of tradeoffs than a "normal update").

Yes, I know that some claim that to upgrade a release one should
do an install from scratch and restore personal data from
backups.  Unless you really messed up previously your installation
doing things like 'rpm --Uvh --nodeps ...' all over the place,
and other nasties of that sort, this is misguided.

 But after an extended rattlesnake sorting session on my