Re: lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thursday 19 October 2006 12:04, Matthew Miller wrote:
So RHL has been the hold-up there? In that case, *definitely* time to end
RHL support; RHL != Fedora anyway.

IMHO, Fedora Legacy was started for RHL, not FC, and the name is shouldn't
dictate policy, the original purpose should dictate policy.

My thoughts too.  I keep trying to be nice to these people, and they never
help out.  So screw 'em.  </personal opinion>

Yeah, and when offers of help are met with resistence, people do tend to
not help out.  When people say stuff like "So screw 'em" then people tend
to not help out.

I really, really think the bugzilla process should be moved to be more
"normal", too -- one bug # per release, even if the issue is identical in
FC3 and FC4. (That's why there's the "clone bug" bugzilla feature.)

Absolutely.  This works much better when the update tool can automanage bugs,
so that each gets closed when the update goes out, and we're not so tied to
every release must be fixed for the bug to be closed.  (note, there can be a
top level "tracker" but for the CVE itself, and individual bugs are cloned
for each vuln Fedora release)

So, hey, here's an idea: Let's do that!  What's the hold up?

> C) Move to Core style updates process.  Spin a possible update, toss it
> in -testing.  If nobody says boo after a period of time, release the darn
> thing.  If somebody finds it to be broken, fix it and resubmit.

Yes. Better this than nothing.

No problem for FC releases.  Since there is only 2 months left on RHL,
there isn't much of a problem there either (in particular if you set
the "period of time" to be a month or one week before the EOL date, which
ever comes first.

Yes. How much work will this convincing take? Does he accept bribes?

I think he does.  A lot of it is a time issue.

Again, could he use help with this?  If so, what kind of help?
Even gentle encouragement?  Or money?  Or coding support?  Or documentation
support?  Or???

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics