Re: Now that fc2 is retired, is there any valid yum repos?

Gene Heskett wrote:

Is this a desktop workstation or a server? If this is a workstation
or a non-production server, why not just go with the Fedora flow? I
run Fedora Core 5 on my workstation and it's working just fine.

If you really don't like upgrading your OS every couple of months I'd
backup my data and do a fresh install of CentOS 4.4.

The last centos I pulled was 4.3 just a month ago, the kernel was in the 2.6.9. Thats at least a year old, and ieee1394 support is broken, still is for that matter. Thats one thing I do keep up with, currently running
2.6.18-rc7.

It's an enterprise OS, so don't expect the latest versions of packages in the official repositories. There are extra repositories that do provide newer packages (centos-plus et al). And you can always roll your own kernel if you need too. I'd just get a base system that fits most of your needs.

Is it new enough that I can then build a current kernel and install all of kino-0.8 and its utils, or am I headed (again) for dependency hell trying to edit a wedding from my firewire equipt movie camera and burn a vcd of
it?  That would be the target job for me at the moment, the rest is
convienience stuff. This is the only box with a firewire card installed,
and the rest are slower boxes.

I just use CentOS for servers, so I wouldn't know how kino is doing on CentOS, but the things you want to do (multimedia, firewire, movies) sound like you'd be better off with a Fedora upgrade. Is something keeping you from upgrading your FC2 install to a newer Fedora release? FC5 has a 2.6.17 kernel and probably the latest versions of packages, unless you compile everything yourself anyway.

I didn't know centos-4.4 was out, I may fire up azureas and nuke the 4.3
dvd images I have now.

Looking at the number of packages at http://mirror.centos.org/ centos-4/4.4/updates/i386/RPMS/ I wouldn't bother. Just install 4.3 and run a quick yum update to get to 4.4.

Nils Breunese.