Re: Seamonkey for FedoraLegacy releases?

CC'ing Chris who worked on Mozilla/SeaMonkey packages, in case he wants to raise any issues.

I personally do not have any objections with your plan to release SeaMonkey for Legacy Fedora distributions.

If you are able to provide SeaMonkey packages that replace Mozilla while depending software still works, fine with me.

One thing that comes to my mind is localization. I think for SeaMonkey we only have English and German, while Mozilla might have had more languages?

Thanks in advance for your work on this.
Kai

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Hi All!

David Eisenstein schrieb:
Was just pondering all the mess of Mozilla versus Seamonkey, and the
scores of vulnerabilities in Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird that we in
Legacy haven't done much with in awhile.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux has ended up producing a Seamonkey (for RHEL
2.1, RHEL 3, and RHEL 4) that supersedes Mozilla-1.7.13, since the
Mozilla Foundation no longer supports their namesake browser.

Should we in Legacy go forth and do likewise, so things like Epiphany
(that depends on pieces of Mozilla to run) can run safely?

Sound like a good plan to me.

If so -- any suggestions of coordination with Fedora Extras since they
are currently the maintainers of Seamonkey for FC4/FC5/FC(rawhide)?  FC3
too?

"Just make it work and don't step on anybodys toes if you don't have to"
should be mostly enough for me. Maybe a announcement and/or discussion
on fedora-extras-list/fedora-maintaienr might be a good idea.

Thorsten - does something like this need to be run by the Extras
Steering Committee?

Well, we got informed -- that should also be mostly enough afaics. I
forwarded your mail to the private FESCo list for comments one hour ago
and received some comments already:
---
I'd like to hear what Kai has to say.  My initial opinion is that it's
fine, as long as it's communicated clearly and the seamonkey package(s)
completely replace the mozilla package(s).
---
+1, from my own testing, seamonkey does replace mozilla just fine,
end-user-wise anyway.
---
The Extras SeaMonkey maintainers are the ones that should be in on the
discussion.  FESCo could oversee things to make sure there are no
conflicts but replacing Mozilla with Seamonkey will be a good thing
security-wise so it's really a question of whether the SeaMonkey
maintainers have any objections.  If so, FESCo can help ensure they are
addressed.
---

CU
thl