Re: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

On 6/12/06, Eric Rostetter <rostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> RHL we agreed to support for a long period of time, however that time
> may be up.  Personally I would really like to see these go, as they take
> up a lot of our time when trying to push updates, we get very little
> help, and updates are increasingly more difficult to do.  I would like
> to hear discussion on if we should continue supporting it, how we can
> make it easier to support, and a reasonable endpoint to the support, an
> exit strategy.

While I have various opinions on whether or not they should go, I'll stick
with just some ideas on what we need to do if they do go.

First, due to the way we promoted RHL support, if we do decide to drop it,
we _MUST_ _NOT_ do so without a reasonable warning period.  That is, we can't
just decide to drop it and do so immediately.  We would need to provide a

Jesse mentioned this right after FC4 was released and again when FC5
was out the door.  At which point there are a lot of people who come
out and say they still need support for RHL-7.3/RHL-9 but other than
Pekka seem to disappear again until the next announcement.

I am the kettle calling the pot black here.. other than testing the
Firefox builds a while back.. I havent had the time to do anything
else. From what I can tell from the amount of time it took me to try
and get that and some other back-queue items tested.. unless you can
honestly say you have 8 hours a week you can devote to a release...
asking for it to stay alive is just prolonging the pain.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

--