Re: EOL planning (and observations)

On Jan 15, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

I've always maintained that I would like to continue support as long as
there are community members willing to put in the work to make it
happen.

I agree with that so long as there are enough users to make it worthwhile.

At the same time, adding one more supported distribution to an already overloaded work force may turn out to be the straw that broke the camel's back. My personal observation is that each supported distribution adds a lot of work - first for the package builder, then for initial QA, and then to find people running each distro in order to verify the packages. Of course for certain packages, the patch is simple and it takes an extra minute or two to patch another distro, but in other cases the patch is not so simple, there are version mis- matches, and you have to spend a long time modifying patches to work on a given package.

Anyway, I think that perhaps we need to continue supporting FC1 but with the idea in our heads that if things start slowing down too much that we drop it so that we can continue to support the other distributions in a timely manner.

-Jeff

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx