Re: Upcoming transition of FC3

On Oct 21, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:37 -0400, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

Notice there are separate repo files for base, updates, updates-
testing and utils.  I think this goes better with the new yum.repos.d
format than having only one repo file.  Also, both base and updates
are enabled, testing and utils are not enabled by default.  I think
this is a sane and safe default, but I'm open to suggestions.

When building for FC5, we'll need to disable all repos by default.  I
will proceed with that package once we all (or most) agree on this
one :)

I never did like all the extra repo files for each repository. I liked
the idea of one file per family, so there was one file for say
freshrpms, one for atrpms, one for extras, one for core/updates, one for
Legacy.  Each having sub-repos such as testing/devel/whatever.  But
thats just my opinion. Easier to edit one file than 4. Fedora steering
folks tell me that I can go w/ what I prefer.  Thoughts?

Like I said, I prefer having multiple repo files. I find the files to get "messy" once you start adding a lot of repos to one file. Of course, that's just personal preference. I think that multiple files make things easier for those that want to modify a repo. For example, say I am going to mirror the base + updates for FC3, but I will very rarely or never use updates-testing or legacy-utils. Instead of having to edit a file, I can simply copy out a new file for each repo (base & updates) I want to change and leave the others alone. For one host this may seem pointless, but for a large number of hosts I find copying a file is easier and cleaner than editing files.

That said, I'm willing to change the RPM to use one legacy.repo if that's what you think is best. If anyone else has any input one way or the other, feel free to chime in.

-Jeff

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx