Re: how to get started with helping the project [...]

Quoting Jim Popovitch <jimpop@xxxxxxxxx>:

> There is a need for good documentation as others have pointed out.

Yes, and if you check the archives, you will find me asking multiple times
for people to help write new documentation, and even more often for people
to read the existing docs and make comments about what is missing/unclear/etc.

People have not responded to such requests most of the time, hence no changes
to the docs.

> Simply saying "login to bugtraq and search" or "test then post a verify"
> isn't enough.

I really don't know much about using bugzilla (which I assume you mean
when you say bugtraq) so it is hard for me to write good docs on it.
We almost need someone who is fluent in bugzilla to write them, or I need
to just point to someone elses HOWTO docs instead.

> OK, so I've not provided a complete replacement for the
> existing documentation, that doesn't mean there isn't room for
> improvement.

I'm not asking for a complete replacement of the existing docs.  Or even
any replacment of the existing docs.  I'm simply asking for you to define
what you want done.

> Prior to me raising the issue, the main FL participants
> thought the documentation was good enough.

No.  I don't know of anyone who thinks are docs are good enough, nor
that think they are complete.  We've regularly solicited help with the
docs, we've just not received much help with them.

> > You seem determined to thwart any progress on the issues you have raised.
> > I simply don't understand your tactics.
>
> My tactics are this:  IMHO what I see now, wrt FL, isn't suitable for a
> production environment where systems require robustly tested patches in
> a timely fashion.

I agree we have not been meeting the timely fashion part.  Otherwise, I
have no problem with the project.  The way to meet the "timely fashion"
part is via participation.  The way to meet the "timely fashion" part
in a "timely fashion" is via constructive, helpful, non-combative
participation.

> I have three choices:
>
>   1) Insist that FL matures and becomes more structured and reformed.
>       (in the works, needs more support)

Yes, needs more participation and help.  Certainly this is a goal of
everyone involved in FL.

>   2) Move to another distribution.
>       (under consideration internally, but honestly quite drastic)

That totally depends on your setup, needs, and policies.

>   3) Roll our own patches/updates
>       (doesn't scale well on nights and weekends)

Or use other people's updates/patches, or pay for updates/patches.  You
have lots of options here.

--
Eric Rostetter

--