Re: I want to help but....

Quoting Eucke Warren <euckew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > > The best place to start is
> > > <http://www.fedoralegacy.org/wiki/index.php/QaTesting>; this describes
> > > how to QA a package.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Dominic.

This is once again the best place to start.  I've modified it to take
into account people who just want to help test the updates-testing packages.
Still a work in progress, but it is much better now.

> That's what I am after Eric.  I'll admit that I am ignorant of much of what
> needs to be done...but I can follow instructions and report my observations
> if someone might be inclined to mentor me in what to look for and
> where.....of course...if you guys rat me out for being ignorant...I'll deny
> everything!  :-P

Basic steps are:

* Install pgp on your machine if needed (yum install gnupg)
* Generate a pgp key for yourself (ask for help on the mailing list)
* Publish the pgp key to a public key server (see docs on the wiki)
* Introduce yourself to the list, with your pgp key (see docs on the wiki)
* Download the RPMS you want to test.  Verify them (see docs on the wiki)
* Install them.  Test the functionality to make sure it works.
* Report your results as a pgp clearsigned message to the Bugzilla system.
  If you are voting for a publish state, then make this clear in the message
  (such as putting in it "I VOTE TO PUBLISH" or "PUBLISH++").

If you need help on any of the above, ask on the mailing list.  Things which
get asked will be archived and will probably be added to the wiki pages, so
your questions will end up helping others.

> Thanks very much!
>
> -Eucke

Not long ago, when Fedora Legacy just started, I was in the same boat.  I had
to ask the mailing list for help, and now I'm in a position to help others.
GPG signing and Bugzilla posting and all was new to me.  But it was easy to
lern with the help of others. So please don't feel afraid to ask me (or the
others) for help.

--
Eric Rostetter

--