Re: State of 7.2/8.0 in Fedora Legacy - compromise?

Quoting Jason Lim <maillist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Same goes for the Redhat 7.2 and 8 systems I admin. Downtime is also not
really an option, otherwise they would have all been upgraded to 9 a long
time ago.

Exactly.

than "full support". I don't know what resource is lacking... is it no one
is making the packages for 7.2/8, or not enough people doing QA for 7.2/8
packages, or something else?

For 7.2, it appears to be a problem of getting them QA tested. For 8.0, there is a bit of a chicken and egg issue as we don't have the needed support there (apt/yum/etc) for people to even conveniently use the packages, etc. I'd think we'd see more 8.0 usage if the apt/yum/rpm issue was resolved.

I know I've personally tried to do QA on the 7.2 and 8.0 packages, but
I've been one of the very few.  And since it takes multiple votes to
get a package out, my single vote doesn't help much.

But at least making the packages available
for download, even if not QAed as much as 9, would be far better than
nothing, because there are bound to be more people doing QA on Fedora
Legacy packages than there are for some person's private package
repository.

Well, maybe not as far as functionality, but I trust FL more as far as trojan/corruption/etc than most other sources. As far as functionality QA we still need testers, and more than just a couple.

Also, if you want to know how many people are running Redhat 7.2/8 and
need the updates, then it would be pretty simple... do a bit of extra
effort to QA the packages already available, make sure yum/apt is
available for 7.2/8, and announce it available.

Yes, indeed. One other thing that was originally mentioned was a web vote for which versions to support. I never saw any such vote setup though (either it wasn't or I missed it). Would give a good count of how many active people use/want what versions supported.

See the number of people
downloading over 1 month...

Not fair, since 7.x people may have apt/yum doing daily automatic upgrades, but since there is no apt/yum for 8.0, you won't see the same type of automatted hits.

Just my 2 cents on how to resolve this issue.

Appreciate the discussion (not matter what the out come).

Jas

-- Eric Rostetter