Re: Future of fedora.us and fedoralegacy.org (was Re: Legacy mirror structure)

Hi Dennis,

> could we symlink legacy to legacy-addons on fedora.us for a short period with
> an updated yum package pointing to the new location  perhaps a future feature
> for yum would be to detect 301 errors and adjust its config to suit.

Symlink yes, but I'm highly against automatically made changes to the
config. This would alert file integrity checkers like aide or tripwire
on systems where an administrator checks the integrity of a package
right before and after an update (and then updates the checksums as
well).

When thinking about the security of a machine, the admin has to make
decisions on which repositories to use. This decision shouldn't be
overriden by the automatic package management in any case. Instead, the
admin should get informed over the change (yum could output a warning
with the new repository URL or the new channel name), but it should be
left over to the admin to decide what to do.

Jonas