Re: Unneeded assertions (supposed to have been: RPM upgrade discussion)

Charles R. Anderson wrote:
FWIW, whenever I recommend "rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.* ; rpm -vv --rebuilddb"
myself, it is because experience has it that sometimes this has helped
further than removal of the tmp files. You never know what the user
has done to make RPM "hang".

I agree.  While not necessary for the exact known causes of most hangs
in rpm where it is necessary for kill -9, I'd recommend it to new
users since it may help fix other problems, and in general it is
always safe to do.  I have seen cases where "rpm -qa" hangs halfway
Not necessarily. There is the imported-GPG-key-causes-rebuilddb-to-corrupt-rpm signatures in rpmdb problem. I don't know the Bugzilla # at the moment though.

I know about this very well, because they blamed ME for the problem at first. =)

Warren