Re: jumpstarting yum on 7.2

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Friday 20 February 2004 15:12, g wrote:

it does appear that the provided yum configuration, and the docs,
presume we don't want to update the kernel.  i realize this is also
what the default up2date configuration was.  even so, this is strange
thinking.  the updated kernel is essential if we're talking about
security.

Nobody is saying that you don't want to upgrade the kernel, however many people (like me) don't want our automatic update systems grabbing a new kernel w/out me knowing about it.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong w/ grabbing the new one as long as it's not set as default. Is there a way to tell yum or rpm to install the kernel, but not set as default? It isn't the behavior of RPM, so I have a feeling yum is the culprit.

Personally, I let it grab and set as default since kernel's don't scare me as long as I have the old to fall back to :-) I just choose my reboot time carefully in case something does go wrong. That's why when we do it manually, we ivh, not Uvh :-)

Now in the case of lights out management setups or remote locations, setting as default Could Be Bad :-/

-Rick

--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.