Re: jumpstarting yum on 7.2

Quoting g <gmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

after installing 7.2 from CD, the instructions at
http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh7x.php
do not work:

I see.

# rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/7.2/updates/i386/rpm-4.0.4-7x.i386.rpm

We'd have to allow for rpm* and popt here. You could do that all on one line, but it would be a very long line. I'm not sure of a good remote solution...

# rpm -Uvh --nodeps /tmp/yum-* /tmp/rpm-* /tmp/popt-*

You should not have to use --nodeps. If you do, then something is wrong.

#  yum update
.conflict between kernel-smp and bcm5820
conflict between kernel-debug and bcm5820
conflict between kernel and bcm5820

That is, I guess, a real conflict, and not a problem yum or our docs can really address.

#  rpm -e bcm5820
#  yum update

But, that is a good solution assuming you don't need bcm5820.

Getting php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm
Error: MD5 Signature check failed for /var/cache/yum/updates/packages/php-pgsql-4.1.2-7.2.6.i386.rpm

Again, not a problem with yum or the docs, but perhaps a problem with the file in the repository you used. You need to contact the repository owner about such problems. It may be a corrupted file, or a file caught during an update of the repo, or a corruption of the download of the file from the site.

exclude=

Be default it would exclude kernels, and hence your conflict above would not have happened (for better or for worse).

# Added this because some mirrors go down and then retying takes forever.
retries=1

Interesting ;)

--
Eric Rostetter