From: fedora-legacy-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-legacy-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Christian
Pearce
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:52 PM
To: fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RPM upgrade discussion

Hello.  I am new to the list and I just got up to speed.  I am hoping to
contribute in every way possible.

I have to agreed with this as well.  If Yum-1.x in functional for updating
7.x machines and rpm 4.0.4 is stable then let sleeping dogs lie.  This does
raise the question of Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 9.  Are they unstable enough
to warrant an upgrade?  Quite frankly I don't have enough recollection to
say either way.  I know for a fact I sometimes run into problems with Red
Hat 8.0 that requires me to kill rpm upgrades and remove database files.  So
this is what I assume people are talking about.  Again I think there should
be one way of doing this.  So if we aren't going to upgrade 7.x machines
because they are good enough.  And the Fedora Core 1 rpm binary package is
stable.  Then we should make the Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 9 (if it is a
problem i don't know) edge cases that can be handled as a decision to be
made by the end user.  This also would follow the spirit of the Fedora
Legacy framework as Jesse stated below.  Not to mention people should work
to phase out their Red H!
at 7.x - 9 installations.  So I hope in a couple years this becomes a mute
talk.  This leads me to the following question.  Can we provide the rpm
package as a extra or crontrib package?  I apologize for my lack of correct
terminology I am still getting up to speed.

--
Christian Pearce
http://www.commnav.com