Re: Printer driver for Canon Pixma iP4600

Well, first you should learn about the tar command.

It's an archive similar to zip, but w/o compression.

I'd start in a terminal with
$ tar -tf iP4600_RPM_printer.tar
to see what files are i the archive.
Then to extract the files
$ tar -xf iP4600_RPM_printer.tar

 I tried it with Windows tools but only see one file.
a 1.5MB file named cnijfilter-ip4600series-3.00-1.i386

I'm guessing the tools I have are stripping of the .rpm extension.
But, the tar file is 7.5MB so I'm thinking the tools is screwing up.

And I found this thread about the Canon drivers.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1773583

So first you need to find the common package from Canon too.
It may be in that tar ball, but I can't tell.

The package from Canon is only 1.6MB
http://support-vn.canon-asia.com/contents/VN/EN/0100160102.html
So you need the common package too
http://support-vn.canon-asia.com/contents/VN/EN/0100159804.html