Re: USB Portable Wifi setup

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:09:18 -0700
"Chris Capesius" <capesius@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, I was never able to get the Intel built-in wireless working,
> which is why I gave up and thought a USB Wifi would solve the
> problem, yet here I am again.  I downloaded the driver for the Intel,
> but it wouldn't open, because I didn't have the software for it to
> read the driver to open it.  In Windows you download the driver and
> open it and it works..Linux (for me anyway)..not so easy

Having looked at your previous description of the yum update command not
being able to identify the Fedora repository I think you either have a
major problem with your installation or you are trying to perform these
updates when you are not the root user and are thus unprivileged. You
won't be able to install packages unless are root, and any package you
download which is something.rpm needs to be installed using rpm or
using yum. Naturally you need internet connectivity to do this

Can you tell us what the contents of the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d
are? In particular the fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo files.

The error you were seeing with the missing metalink can happen if yum
cannot connect to any mirrors, you may need to comment out the mirrors
line and uncomment the baseurl lines.

And can you run:

rpm -qa | grep release

and provide the output.

This is fixable, but you need to get to the point where the updating
process will work or you will be unable to get the packages you need
installed.

--

Brian Morrison