Re: Can not install Fedora 16 on Dell Latitude D620

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:24:29 +0000
Ole Skartveit <ole.skartveit@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have downloaded several flavours of Fedora 16 and burned DVD/CDs. When I try to boot from the CD/DVD on my Dell Latitude D620 I get the first caracter based message that it will start Fedora in xx seconds. Then the text dissapears and after a while two lines with some kind of bars pops up, and that is all.
>
> If I put the same CD/DVD into another PC (a desktop) it boots up from the CD/DVD and all works as expected.
>
> Is the Dell D620 laptop not supported for Fedora? I would appreciate any help.
>
> Regards
> Ole

A look at the Common Bugs page for F16 might help.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs

I would suggest reading this, there is one possible entry that might
help you which mentions using nomodeset as a kernel argument on boot
(you can modify the kernel command line during the boot process) and
then selecting a text mode installation.

I don't know what graphics hardware the D620 has, but it may be that it
needs some setup that the installer can't do but a full installation
will be able to.

HTH

--

Brian Morrison