Re: Compiz problem on ThinkPad R50 + ATI Mobility Radeon 9000

Nikolay Botev wrote:
Hi,

I just installed Fedora 7 on my laptop.

When I enable
the Desktop Effects (switch to compiz) everything works fine except
that about 1/4 of the desktop on the right side gets cut off. I can
still move windows over that area, but the desktop does not extend over
that area (background and bars).

I'm running with a 32MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 card at 1400x1040.

I assume you mean 1400x1050 .

Is this a known issue? Has anybody else experienced it? Is there a fix?

There's a workaround that I hacked up to fix this on my laptop. Use the packages in the repo at http://pjones.fedorapeople.org/xorg-x11-drv-ati/ , and add the following to the "Device" sections of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

        Option "LocalTextures" "off"

You may also need to add:

       Option "GARTSize" "64"

or

       Option "GARTSize" "128"

This should get you going for now, but the change isn't what's going to be the final fix in upstream Xorg, so you'll probably want to add "Exclude: xorg-x11-drv-ati" to your yum configuration until the real fix is ready.

--
  Peter