Re: kernel-5.18.0-0.rc1.20220408git1831fed559732b1.20.fc37.src.rpm fails to build locally

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 12:29 PM stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 15:23:47 -0500
> Justin Forbes <jforbes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > And now you see why kernel-headers is a separate package for Fedora,
> > you can't build the tools without installed kernel headers from the
> > same kernel.  For a quick work around, install
> > kernel-headers-5.18.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc37
>
> I'm also building the header package for the kernel at the same time as
> the tools, and this has worked without issue before 5.18.  That is, when
> a new kernel version came out, I just built kernel, tools, and headers
> as usual, and never had a problem.  There must have been some change in
> the build process with the introduction of 5.18.
>
> Thanks for the workaround.

There is no change in the build process, this is just a thing that
pops up from time to time during the merge window, not incredibly
often.  Basically the problem is a merge comes in for kernel tools
which both adds something to a uapi header, and adds code in
kernel-tools which uses that new thing.   Because tools are using the
userspace headers installed on the system, you are trying to build the
5.18 kernel tools using 5.17 kernel headers.  In this case, it was
upstream commit a1a5cfe70cd29 but this is not the first time it has
happened. When building kernel-headers as a separate package, it
becomes easy to build the new headers, which can then be installed to
build kernel-tools. If you are building everything all together, you
need to edit the spec to skip that failing tool, or turn off
kernel-tools all together. Then you will get a kernel-headers package
that you can install and build.

Justin