Re: kernel 5.14 spec file problems, one solved, one unresolved, help

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 10:21:01 -0500
Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> bpftool is a builreq, the failure there has to do with where you are
> building it. You need bpftool from 5.13 to build a 5.14 snapshot.  The
> error is unclear, but that is the solution.  This is actually a very
> useful bit in that we will use that vmlinux.h to build kernel-tools
> for Fedora. It is built in kernel for ELN.  As I rebase stable Fedora
> to 5.13, it will require a prebuild of kernel-tools for 5.13 followed
> by the kernel build.

I have bpftool-5.13.0-1.fc35.x86_64 installed, and that seems to have
satisfied the buildrequire.  I am also building perf, tools,
headers, and devel, so that everything is in sync with the custom
kernel.  That used to work fine as late as 5.10 kernels.  So, my
takeaway is that this has changed, and I now need to enable the build
of vmlinux.h.

The error message I received was that bpftool could not find BFT.  I
infer from your response that turning on the build of bpf will remedy
that.

> Would need to know what link this is. I know perf messed up the
> makefile and created a link in the wrong place. We don't package this
> link, but our command to remove it wasn't looking in the right place.
> Rather than fix this in spec, I sent a fix upstream which is applied
> and waiting for the next Linus perf pull.
> https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark/-/merge_requests/1237 but
> you shouldn't be hitting that at all if you are doing a fedora build
> which doesn't build perf.  If it isn't that, let me know what it
> actually is, since I am not seeing it in rawhide builds.

But as I say above, I *am* building perf.  So, this solves the second
problem.  I can wait for a fedora kernel that has the fix, or I can try
to apply that patch manually.

The main reason I'm doing this is that the Fedora kernel has the
configuration option for the rtl2832 module turned on.  That is to use
it for its intended purpose, as a tuner, and that is reasonable.  But, I
use an rtl2832 as a source of atmospheric entropy.  My daemon can't
acquire it unless the rtl2832 is free, which it isn't with a stock
Fedora kernel.  The slimmed down size and reduced attack surface are
just bonuses of building the custom kernel.

Thanks for your help.