Re: kernel 5.14 spec file problems, one solved, one unresolved, help

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM stan via kernel
<kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm building the 5.14 kernel from
> kernel-5.14.0-0.rc0.20210706git79160a603bdb.11.fc35.src.rpm
> I've run into two issues.
>
> The first is to do with bpftool.  I see in the comments that it is
> supposed to be disabled in Fedora.  But, it still has a buildrequires:,
> and there is a segment of code that is not protected even if bpftool is
> turned off.
>
> %ifnarch armv7hl
>     # Generate vmlinux.h and put it to kernel-devel path
>     bpftool btf dump file vmlinux format c > $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/$DevelDir/vmlinux.h
> %endif
>
> Because bpftool is turned off, this chokes.

bpftool is a builreq, the failure there has to do with where you are
building it. You need bpftool from 5.13 to build a 5.14 snapshot.  The
error is unclear, but that is the solution.  This is actually a very
useful bit in that we will use that vmlinux.h to build kernel-tools
for Fedora. It is built in kernel for ELN.  As I rebase stable Fedora
to 5.13, it will require a prebuild of kernel-tools for 5.13 followed
by the kernel build.

> The second is to do with a symbolic link.
>

>     # Move the devel headers out of the root file system
>     mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/src/kernels
>     mv $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/lib/modules/$KernelVer/build $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/$DevelDir
>
>     # This is going to create a broken link during the build, but we don't use
>     # it after this point.  We need the link to actually point to something
>     # when kernel-devel is installed, and a relative link doesn't work across
>     # the F17 UsrMove feature.
>     ln -sf $DevelDir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/lib/modules/$KernelVer/build
>
> The comment says that symbolic link should not matter, but rpmbuild
> complains that files are being packaged that are not registered (?,
> from memory).  Building something else right now, but if you need the
> exact error message, I can regenerate it later.  This code is in
> prior kernel spec files without problems.  It seems that something
> is being more assiduous now.  I've tried various things to work around
> this, but they haven't worked.  I guess that is because I don't really
> understand why this symbolic link is being created.  What is your
> suggestion for how to fix this?

Would need to know what link this is. I know perf messed up the
makefile and created a link in the wrong place. We don't package this
link, but our command to remove it wasn't looking in the right place.
Rather than fix this in spec, I sent a fix upstream which is applied
and waiting for the next Linus perf pull.
https://gitlab.com/cki-project/kernel-ark/-/merge_requests/1237 but
you shouldn't be hitting that at all if you are doing a fedora build
which doesn't build perf.  If it isn't that, let me know what it
actually is, since I am not seeing it in rawhide builds.

> Finally, I've built the kernel successfully several times while testing
> my fixes.  I've noticed that ccache is not being used; it is rebuilding
> everything every time.  Since I'm building a kernel customized to my
> hardware, that isn't so onerous.  But, how would I enable ccache so
> that rebuilds are basically copy operations?

For building rpms, I am not sure here.  When I am debugging and
testing non packaging related fixes, I tend to just build manually in
the kernel tree.

Justin