Re: Move xpad in kernel-modules ?

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 02:53:04PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 10:31:17AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > You should see the hoops people go through to make their controllers work,
> > > either installing user-space drivers, or finding out how to solve the problem
> > > by installing the right package:
> > > https://rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/how-to-use-your-xbox-368-controllers-under-fedora
> >
> > Yeah, Windows has trained gamers that fiddling with drivers is the first
> > answer to any problem. This is an opportunity for us to provide a better
> > experience!
>
> FWIW, I think it's time to get rid of kernel-modules-extra entirely.
> The premise originally was "put modules that aren't widely used or
> that we think are of lesser quality in here, and stop building them
> entirely over time".  It hasn't really paid off because we never
> actually disable anything in there and it causes this kind of
> installation pain.  There's value in kernel-core/kernel-modules, but
> kernel-modules-extra doesn't provide much value by itself.

As is, I agree, it's not adding much value, but only because this is
also highlighting the fact that the system today is quite bad in
adapting itself to the available hardware. The kernel can load the
right driver, if it's there. What we're missing more is the hook on
"oh, driver is missing? request to install package X" then. IOW, if I
don't have a xbox controller, why should I have to have its driver
installed on my disk?

That is, I'm not talking about disabling/deprecating stuff, but
enhancing kernel packaging so that it is closer to the rest of the
distro. Just lacks proper support for it. Maybe, then taking it to the
extreme, less common modules can all have its own rpm package ;-)

  Marcelo