Re: Kernel 5.7.X <=33

On 16.6.2020 12:20, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Lo!

Am 16.06.20 um 13:39 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
2On 16.6.2020 10:43, Peter Robinson wrote:
I'm not seeing any kernel 5.7.1, 5.7.2 kernel builds in koji and on it's
way to <=33 now after 5.7.1 had been released ( expected after 5.7.1,
there are two weeks since last 5.7.x build ) is that part of this new
workflow along with this significant CI noise and needless one line ack
Nothing at all related to it what so ever. The standard process for
new stable kernels in Fedora stable releases has been "sometime after
the .3 release" and has been that as long as I've been involved in
kernel stuff (about 10 years).
You might want to update [1] to reflect what is written since as I
recall for over a decade this has always been more or less the case ( or
atleast the aim ).
And quite a few things changed since then, as back then .1 and .2 often
only came out once the merge window for the next version had closed.
These days they often get released during the merge window. And they
come out more often if bugs in processors or the kernel itself make it
necessary.

That's why that description doesn't match recent practice anymore. These
days it's afaics more "about three or four weeks after the release of a
new mainline version (if time permits)" (see also the thread mentioned
below). We are not there yet and Justin is quite busy already after
Laura moved on and Jeremy's focus changed recently. So it might take a
bit longer this round and I think that's totally okay.

Nothing wrong with that however the documentation needs to be updated to reflect current process at any given time(which in turn updates people expectations ) which clearly I have gotten wrong.

I presumed RH had hired someone to replace Laura at this point and hopefully for Jeremy and Justin sake they have persons to cover for them while they are on vacation and or focusing on other stuff.

Side note: Justin afaics even did mainline builds while on PTO – many
thx for that, Justin, much appreciated – but at the same time please
make sure you get your head off from work, that's what holidays are for!
:-)

If he's on vacation he's supposed to be on vacation ( out of reach ) and let's hope he is.

Side note: see also this thread, where I recently asked to rebase a few
days earlier and some of the kernel devs gave good arguments against it:

I'll refresh my memory ( probably have read ( and forgotten) it already if it's pre beginning of May this year when the pipeline noises started )

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/QNRKKMCIZFFJF7VLHXU2MFVBGGGFQPTC/#NVDPUAK7ECFLLIEMAMGDYWJ26XQTHNAZ

Ciao, knurd

JBG