Re: Fedora kernel workflow feedback

Am 20.04.20 um 18:55 schrieb Don Zickus:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> The more I think about this the more I dislike that we are not using
>>> official, pristine tarballs anymore. This "Source0 is a tarball
>>> generated from a git tree maintained outside of the Fedora infra and
>>> patched with buildscripts" IMHO violates the intention of the SourceURL
>>> part of the Fedora Packaging Guidelines that was put in place for good
>>> reasons (by both red hat and community contributors):
>>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/SourceURL/
> […]
> Thanks for the feedback!  I believe we would like to work out a solution for
> this. […]> Signed tags could work, but they are only applied to releases, not the -rcX> updates.  So there is limitation to that.
>
> Looking through the Fedora Doc you posted, they seem to provide examples of
> using a git commit for reference (despite kernel.org using tarballs).  In
> essence that is what we are doing, using more of the upstream commit and
> generating our own tarball from that commit.
>
> Obviously, the problem comes down to trust.  Just trying to figure out the
> most reasonable way to prove we didn't make any mistakes when generating the
> tarball using the tools we have available.
>
> Thoughts?

This overlaps a bit with my reply I just sent to Jeremy  (
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/PZ3ZCUL2WI7ECONM5HNE6QNZMKTO64VR/
), nevertheless:

How about something like this:

* For Source0 on Rawhide with its daily snapshots use something like this:
Source0: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/snapshot/linux-ae83d0b416db002fe95601e7f97f64b59514d936.tar.gz
(taken from
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ae83d0b416db002fe95601e7f97f64b59514d936

Use something like this everywhere else:

Source0: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/snapshot/linux-5.6.6.tar.gz

* For rawhide and its daily snapshots just trust what everyone can download at git.kernel.org. Everywhere else verify the signed tag in the %prep section of the spec file just like the packaging guidelines suggest:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_verifying_signatures

CU, knurd