Re: Upcoming Fedora kernel workflow changes

On Fri, 2020-03-13 at 07:07 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 7:02 AM Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

I'm not sure what your issue with CKI is, but that's beside the point.

What exactly about the tarball coming from kernel.org makes you trust
it? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious. Is it the
x509 certificate they were issued? Is it that the tarballs are GPG-
signed?

> I also am personally not a fan of the "source-git" approach for
> various reasons (including that it makes it *much* more difficult to
> identify downstream vs upstream changes, more easily leading to
> forks), but the kernel team actively contributes to upstream and our
> current policy makes it incredibly difficult to have non-upstream
> changes in the kernel, so I'm less worried there.

Currently we make a clone of Linus's tree and do a diff between master
and the latest tag and then plop that into the lookaside cache. No
individual commits, nothing. You know what happens if I'm working on a
patch in that repository? Into the patch it goes, and good luck finding
it among thousands of other changes.

In the source tree, every commit is still broken out, figuring out what
patches Fedora carries is a simple git command. It's *way* simpler to
discover what patches are included in a build and why.

Kind regards,
Jeremy