Re: Intel SOF firmware

> >> Does anyone know, how the iwl*-firmware files are installed? I cannot find any
> >> dependency in kernel nor linux-firmware rpms. It's similar.
> >
> > It's done via comps.
>
> Hmm that does not really help here as the mean case we are trying to
> fix is F31 users upgrading from kernel 5.4 to 5.5.
>
> >> Also, SOF may be used on other architectures like i.MX ARM platforms. I can
> >> create packages with the different firmware files for specific architectures
> >> instead one noarch package.
> >
> > I would split them up, I would probably still leave them as no-arch.
> >
> > I was going to ask for the arm NXP firmwares but I hadn't got as far
> > as investigating which SoCs they would be needed for.
>
> ATM the package is tiny, linux-firmware OTOH is not so tiny. Since we are

I'd not looked at the actual size, if it's small that's fine. Also if
it's just added to comps, like the various wireless firmware, it's
easy enough to exclude for usecases like cloud that won't need it.

> happily installing linux-firmware everywhere I do not think that splitting
> this up is worthwhile.

Well that's a completely different can of worms.... a lot don't
install it happily ;-)

> If we want to spend effort on splitting out firmware files in generic
> (used on multiple archs) and per arch firmware files then that effort
> is probably best spend on the linux-firmware packgae itself for starters.

If it's small leave it as one, it's easy enough to evolve later.