Re: Kernel 5.3 rebase plans

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:51 AM Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Laura Abbott schrieb am 16.09.19 um 16:24:
>
> > Kernel 5.3 was released upstream yesterday Sept 16. Fedora will be
> > following the same rebase schedule as with past kernels. This means
> > F30 will be rebased to 5.3 first followed by F29 shortly thereafter.
> > We typically wait until the 2nd or 3rd stable release to push a
> > rebase. Based on past timings, I'd expect this to happen around
> > mid-October.
>
> Would it be wise to tighten the "same rebase schedule as with past
> kernels" a little bit in the future (maybe by one week)?
>
> Just wondering, as it seems the fast few transitions from one version
> line to the next iirc all finished some time after a line went EOL. This
> time it looks worse: 5.2 is EOL as of today and 5.3 hasn't even hit
> updates-testing for the current Fedora release yet afics. And the
> stabilization copr wasn't much in action this time either.
>
> While the EOL thing isn't ideal, it isn't that unusual either. We can, and
often do backport security fixes and the like before they appear in stable,
so just because upstream stable has marked something as EOL, this does not
mean that we will not update for such things.
Stabilization is typically not used when the rebase version is the release
kernel for the next Fedora. The real focus of stabilization is to have
somewhere to accumulate patches before the rebase, while rawhide moves on.
As F31 is releasing on 5.3, that branch was that place.

> But whatever, I assume there are reasons why things are a little bit
> more bumpy this time, that not why I'm writing this mail. I was just
> wondering if a slightly faster schedule for the rebases might be a good
> idea in general

We are actually moving at about the same speed as in the past, 5.4-rc2 came
out Sunday, and 5.3.5 will be built for F30 on Tuesday. The upstream stable
tree is moving quite a bit faster though, we have gone from 1 stable update
a week, to much closer to 2.  We are also much more likely to get a .1
before rc1 comes out. This means, while we used to rebase on a .2 or .3
stable, we are rebasing on .4 - .6.  From a kernel quality standpoint for
the rebase, I am comfortable with this schedule.

Justin

CU, knurd