Re: Kernel 5.3 rebase plans

On 10/8/19 6:51 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Laura Abbott schrieb am 16.09.19 um 16:24:

Kernel 5.3 was released upstream yesterday Sept 16. Fedora will be
following the same rebase schedule as with past kernels. This means
F30 will be rebased to 5.3 first followed by F29 shortly thereafter.
We typically wait until the 2nd or 3rd stable release to push a
rebase. Based on past timings, I'd expect this to happen around
mid-October.

Would it be wise to tighten the "same rebase schedule as with past
kernels" a little bit in the future (maybe by one week)?

Just wondering, as it seems the fast few transitions from one version
line to the next iirc all finished some time after a line went EOL. This
time it looks worse: 5.2 is EOL as of today and 5.3 hasn't even hit
updates-testing for the current Fedora release yet afics. And the
stabilization copr wasn't much in action this time either.

But whatever, I assume there are reasons why things are a little bit
more bumpy this time, that not why I'm writing this mail. I was just
wondering if a slightly faster schedule for the rebases might be a good
idea in general.

CU, knurd

The timing is kind of tricky because once we push a rebase we are stuck
with it. That means if key CVEs come in we have to work to get them
on the next kernel. It's also usually good to wait for the next merge
window to close so any really obvious fixes have a chance to make
it to a .1 or .2 stable kernels. We also wanted to wait for the
kernel test week to complete, which happened last week. Based on all
that's, that's how we got to the date today. We might be able to
push a few of these things next time but it's also very hard to
tell since sometimes the early releases are mostly unusable.

As for the stabilization copr, part of that was my fault for not
being diligent there since I was traveling the last two weeks. I did
the initial test build to make sure my f30 rebase was okay (didn't
miss any pieces) and then mostly left it alone since I figured
it would be just as easy to run the f31 kernel which was already on
5.3.

I do appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
Laura