Re: Duplicate touchpads on XPS 13

On Sun, Jun 03, 2018 at 02:06:14AM +0200, Timur Kristóf wrote:
[...]
> > For upstream, this link has everything you need:
> > https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/reporting_bugs.ht
> > ml
> > In the Fedora bugzilla it's the libinput component. Either bugzilla
> > will
> > work, it's the same person answering you anyway (i.e. me :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> > > Searching for libinput in the journal reveals a bunch of touch jump
> > > messages, which seem to be related to the problem:
> > > https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/MoZGqf25VpHjCLSYzTxdfw
> >
> > there are a few issues here. The cursor jump complaint could be the
> > cause of the jerkiness but we only trigger that when you move >20mm
> > within one event - not something that can be triggered easily (or at
> > all) in real life. All the timer offset negative bugs indicate that
> > your
> > compositor isn't rendering fast enough and libinput is starved for
> > attention. That is currently relatively common under Wayland but I
> > haven't seen this under Xorg yet.
>
> That is just a copy-paste from my journal from the past couple of days,
> and I admit I was running both X and Wayland during that time. (Mostly
> to investigate whether this-or-that issue is reproducible on X or
> Wayland.) So some of those messages do come from Wayland actually.
>
> > IOW I think we may have a multitude of bugs here that need
> > untangling
> > before we can pin down psmouse as real culprit.
>
> Looks like this turns out more complicated than I anticipated. What do
> you think should be the next step in untangling it?

file a bug :)

libinput (and kernel input) is at a point where most issues are well beyond
quick fixes on a mailing list and we need to look at multiple complete logs,
all too large for mailing lists. pastebins sort-of work but are too
transient and don't work with tooling set up for bugzilla.

Cheers,
   Peter