Re: proper debuginfo for embedded vDSO

Hi,

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 15:12 -0700, Laura Abbott wrote:
> The kernel still doesn't have 100% parallel debuginfo because we
> can't update
> the vDSO binary embedded in the the image. I'd like to see about updating
> debugedit to be smart enough to do the recalculation of the buildid for both
> the vmlinux and the embedded vDSO.
>
> I'd like to avoid too tight a coupling between the kernel and debugedit
> so if we want/need to change how the vDSO is generated it won't break too
> many things. My idea is to stick the location of the vDSO in an ELF note
> so debugedit knows where to look. As long as the kernel can generate this
> section correctly, debugedit can find the embedded build-id and update
> accordingly.

It is an interesting idea, but I think still too tied to debugedit. If
at all possible we should take debugedit out of the loop completely. It
just runs way too late in the build process. I see another thread where
Andy has a good idea, that I think is more promising. Add an option to
the linker, which will run at precisely the right time. I'll reply to
that one with my thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark