Re: Enabling btusb autosuspend by default

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:16 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As mentioned before I'm working on trying to improve the OOTB
>> power-consumption of Fedora Workstation on laptops
>> (I need to create an F28 feature page for this).
>>
>> On many laptops the btusb device is the only USB device not
>> having USB autosuspend enabled, this causes not only the btusb
>> device but also the USB controller to stay awake, together using
>> aprox. 0.4W of power. Modern ultrabooks idle around 6W
>> (at 50% screen brightness), 3.5W for Apollo Lake devices.
>> 0.4W is a significant chunk of this (7 / 11%).
>>
>> So I would like to enable btusb autosuspend by default, to
>> make this possible I've submitted the following kernel
>> patch upstream which has just been merged (queued for 4.16):
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git/commit/?id=86be3c232877b59f08561b256ff7e73ad39b0785
>>
>> If it is ok with the Fedora kernel team I would like to add
>> this as a patch to the Fedora kernels for now and set
>> the new BT_HCIBTUSB_AUTOSUSPEND option to y. This is not
>> without a risk of regressions, so this is something for
>> rawhide/F28 only.
>

> This is really useful work. I'm already seeing ~20% battery
> improvement with Fedora 27 + 4.14.0-0.rc8.git3.1.fc28.x86_64 on an HP
> Spectre, and so far no regressions. I get better battery life with
> this combination than running Windows 10 with all the HP specific
> drivers for this model.
>
> Some tips on how regressions might manifest and what information to
> include in a good bug report would be useful. e.g. on an Intel NUC
> when I run powertop --auto-tune, and walk away (it's a server so it
> might be days) and come back the keyboard won't work. I've never done
> any troubleshooting other than just disable the powertop systemd unit,
> I'm vaguely suspicious of usb autosuspend and it not waking up when
> keys are pressed.

Auto suspend can be a real problem when it is keyboards and mice. I
know there was a huge uproar with logitech unified receiver users when
powertop would change the receiver to autosuspend and the
keyboard/mouse became unresponsive for a couple of key presses.  To be
honest, I think this particular change may do much more harm than
good.

Justin