Re: Locally compiled 4.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1 kernel has a few issues

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:15:30 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:01:40 -0700
> stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I have compiled the 4.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1 kernel here with a custom
> > configuration.  I've had two issues.
> >
> > First, when I boot into multiuser, instead of white text on black
> > background, the virtual terms come up with gray text on white
> > background, a killer for the eyes.  If I then start X, the virtual
> > terminals revert to white on black text.  This was not an issue in
> > the 13, or before, series of kernels.
> >
> > Second, I had a system lockup.  It has been multiple kernel series
> > since I have had one.  The only configuration option that I changed
> > between 13 and 14 was to use the hardened slab freelist.  I'll see
> > if a lockup happens again, or was a fluke.
> >
> > Just a heads up that there might be some rough edges in the 14
> > series.

The latest kernel package, kernel-4.14.0-0.rc6.git0.1.fc28, has been
stable for 3 days now, so I think issue 2 is licked.  The virtual
consoles still come up with a weird color scheme, dark gray on light
gray, but the workaround of starting X to fix that still works (reverts
them to light gray on black).  And doesn't occur in rawhide, though the
terminals come up really bright black instead of black black.  The
workaround reverts them to the correct behavior there too.