Re: Locally compiled 4.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1 kernel has a few issues

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:01:40 -0700
stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have compiled the 4.14.0-0.rc2.git0.1 kernel here with a custom
> configuration.  I've had two issues.
>
> First, when I boot into multiuser, instead of white text on black
> background, the virtual terms come up with gray text on white
> background, a killer for the eyes.  If I then start X, the virtual
> terminals revert to white on black text.  This was not an issue in the
> 13, or before, series of kernels.
>
> Second, I had a system lockup.  It has been multiple kernel series
> since I have had one.  The only configuration option that I changed
> between 13 and 14 was to use the hardened slab freelist.  I'll see if
> a lockup happens again, or was a fluke.
>
> Just a heads up that there might be some rough edges in the 14 series.

An update.

A later version fixed these issues in rawhide, as far as I can tell.
The lockups can take a while, and I don't use rawhide for long periods
of time, so it could still be locking up there, just hasn't occurred
while I've been using it.  I'll try letting rawhide sit idle over night.

I tried locally compiling rc4.git4.1, and it still has the same problems
in F25.  I've disabled the slab hardening in case that was the cause.

Booting to multiuser is gray on white text in the console; the
workaround of resetting it by starting X still works.

The system locks.  It took a while, but the system was just sitting
idle as I did something else, I came back and it was locked.  Nothing
unusual in the logs.  So, I'm guessing there is a bug hidden somewhere
in the kernel itself.  This doesn't happen with 4.13, so it's a change
that was made for 4.14.  Since it has been doing this with 4.14 from
the get-go, it must be an early change.