Re: Topics for kernel discussion at Flock

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Presumably you have i686 kernel maintenance from a x86-32 SIG on that?
>>
>> Why would that be necessary?  It's a talk about process.  The process
>> should be the same regardless of who is doing the work.  I doubt we
>> need to have specific topics per architecture.  If we do, why wouldn't
>> we do one for aarch64, s390x and ppc64le and ppc64?
>
> Because they already have maintainers and there's not an outstanding
> proposal for them to be dropped altogether, I also note you leave
> ARMv7 out of that list.

ARMv7 is a primary architecture already very well maintained, which is
one of the reasons it became a primary architecture and one of the
reasons it's not being discussed from being demoted.  I didn't think
preaching to people that already know the process was worthwhile.
Then again, the rest of the architectures I mentioned haven't had any
trouble either, which kind of further proves my point.

>> This is my opinion alone, but if an x86-32 SIG wants to form and
>> participate, they need to form and participate like everyone else.
>
> Sure, but that's entirely my point, maybe there's some possible x86-32
> SIG people that would like some help and assistance and Flock would
> certainly be the optimal time to get some real direction from the
> kernel maintainers to ensure that happens and hence the reason for my
> suggestion of it as a topic

I still disagree.  If the talk is on process, just attend the talk and
listen to the process.  Then ask questions if needed.  I don't see a
need to explicitly call out any architecture.  Just show up.

josh