Re: The future of secure boot patches in Fedora

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 06:47:27AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Right.  Functionally they're fairly similar but even from a Kconfig
> >> option standpoint they differ.

> >> The problem here is that there is no "new and improved" upstream
> >> stuff.  Fedora has a patchset that has limped along and been very
> >> slightly tweaked with every rebase.  So really, there's no upstream
> >> (in the kernel.org sense) stuff at all and that's the problem.
> >
> > Yeah, that's definitely the biggest problem here.
> >
> >> (BTW, aside from the key code, I would imagine most of the SB patchset
> >> actually could apply to an older kernel without much difficulty.  It
> >> patches paths that don't really change all that much.)
> >
> > Ah, I may have been mixing it up with another set, or just plain making
> > bad assumptions about the complexity. I definitely had our old DSA module
> > signing code that we are still carrying in RHEL6 vs. the RSA module
> > signing code that finally went upstream in mind... I suppose it wouldn't
>
> I think you're remembering the GPG signing that RHEL6 had.  RHEL7,
> Fedora, and upstream don't use GPG signing at all.  They use certs and
> slap them at the end.  That drastically simplifies some of the module

Nope, definitely thinking DSA vs. RSA -- I had to wrestle with figuring
out how to actually test the non-upstream DSA modsigning implementation
for FIPS certification back in RHEL5 and RHEL6, and was quite happy when
we didn't have to do that any longer in RHEL7. :) But GPG sigs were a pain
as well.

> > patches. But yeah. Seems we (Red Hat) really ought to dedicate some
> > resources towards getting something accepted upstream so we don't have to
> > carry this around for eternity.
>
> 100% agreed.

I'm guessing nobody ever really picked up this ball and ran with it after
mjg left Red Hat...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxx