Re: The future of secure boot patches in Fedora

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/22/2016 02:50 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> There isn't one unified answer. Every distro seems to be doing something
>>> different because upstream hasn't provided a single solution.
>>>
>>> Moving forward, we would treat secure boot like feature that is still
>>> in progress. This means taking the existing secure boot patches or
>>> a new approach and submitting them in a way that's acceptable to the
>>> upstream
>>> community. This is also code for "I don't know but what we have isn't
>>> sustainable so let's discuss something better".
>>

>> Of course.
>>
>> What patch set are Red Hat and CentOS using? If they're not all using
>> the same thing is it viable to get them all using the same thing?
>>
>> I'd think that without an upstream solution that this must be an issue
>> for all the distros supporting Secure Boot in one form or another.
>> Hmm, no schedule yet for Linux Kernel Summit and Linux Plumbers
>> Conference.
>>
>> Without Secure Boot we run up against making dual boot with Windows
>> messier for users, effectively encouraging them to permanently leave
>> it off which possibly opens them up to bootloader malware with their
>> Windows installation.  Most users will not flip Secure Boot
>> enabled/disabled when going between Fedora and Windows, they'll just
>> give up and leave it disabled, in my estimation. (I sorta hate dual
>> boot, but that's beside the point.)
>>

> Right. Secure boot _is_ an important feature.

Secure Boot is an important feature, I continuously question whether
dual boot really is; but for now I accept it needs to be fairly bullet
proof. And therefore Secure Boot needs to be supported, even if there
were a fully acceptable substitute.

I guess with measured boot, whatever runtime services are available
after ExitBootServices() maybe could still be compromised, which
ostensibly should not be true with Secure Boot? *shrug* so maybe
they're still different things with some overlap (policy wise anyway).

>> Disregarding the dual boot case, is some form of measured boot a
>> better way forward? I have no idea what the state of hardware is with
>> TPM vs Secure Boot.
>>

> There is a TPM microconference happening at Plumbers (I think?).

Dunno, I haven't seen the preliminary stuff and there's no schedule up
for summit or plumbers still.

--
Chris Murphy