Re: The future of secure boot patches in Fedora

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 06:00:44PM -0700, Laura Abbott wrote:
> On 08/22/2016 05:22 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> >>Of course.
> >>
> >>What patch set are Red Hat and CentOS using? If they're not all using
> >>the same thing is it viable to get them all using the same thing?
> >
> >They're using the same basic thing, but CentOS 7 and it's grandfather are
> >based on a 3.10 kernel, so there's a gulf of difference in the codebase of
> >that and current Fedora kernels, meaning there's no way they're going to
> >be using exactly the same code. And once it works one particular way in
> >Red Hat Enterprise Linux, it's unlikely to be swapped out wholesale for
> >the "new and improved" upstream way until the next major RHEL release.
> >Enterprise stability and stuff. So yeah, no, you really can't get them all
> >using the same thing. The kernel codebases are just faaaar too different
> >for a fairly invasive patchset that touches bits and pieces all over the
> >place in core areas.
> >

> You're right, distros aren't going to swap out what they have in existing
> releases for the new hotness. I'd like to believe that if there was a
> workable upstream solution many distros would choose to converge on that
> for a future release with a corresponding kernel version.

Oh, they absolutely would, for future (major) releases. The issue is more
that yes, we can do something new and different in Fedora, but not in
CentOS/RHEL 7 or earlier.

> Maybe we will
> have to maintain some version of these patches for older kernels like
> Cent OS  but newer kernels could be common.

"We" being who? Red Hat is absolutely going to have to maintain them for
RHEL, as it's already shipped as a supported feature, and will have to
remain such for the life of at least RHEL7. CentOS gets it for free.
Fedora really only has to be concerned with Fedora, though at some point,
that could also carry over to the next RHEL kernel too... But if Red Hat
really wants to ship something in the next RHEL kernel, maybe Red Hat
ought to dedicate some resources to getting something upstream so we're
not having to carry out-of-tree crud for both Fedora *and* RHEL...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxx