Re: F23 4.3 rebase plan

On 12/15/2015 03:35 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 03:20:06PM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

On 12/15/2015 02:48 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 02:33:48PM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

On 11/20/2015 04:13 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
4.3.3 has now been release but no sign of it in F23.
It won't be submitted until January.  We don't want to do a major rebase
the week before most of us go away on PTO.  There is a COPR that
contains builds from the stabilization branch in Fedora git for those
that wish to jump early.
Did not know about that corp repo hence I have to ask...

Is that the latest stable kernel release ( 4.3.3 ) and will always
Not yet.  It will be updated to 4.3.3 (or 4.3.4) at some point this
week, but 4.3.3 has a known memory leak.

contain the latest stable release ( for all current Fedora releases
It won't always even exist.  It's temporary.

Perhaps it's better to just build the kernel in koji and have people fetch it directly from there, at least I fail to see what overhead of creating/maintaining a copr repo for just a single GA release is supposed to add to the table.

hitting problems with the
rawhide kernel, they should report the bugs.

People are using rawhide kernel with stable release workstation ( F22/F23 ) not rawhide workstation with rawhide.

Nobody but someone that's doing direct testing or development does that since rawhide will never be stable enough for "normal" people to do any work. ( thou certain people exist in the community are under the illusion that it ever will and seem to be putting efforts in trying to achieve which in turn contradicts the entire existence of rawhide in the first place but good for them )

  It is also a good idea to
keep at least one known good working kernel installed on a rawhide
machine, which is one of the main motivations for having 3 kernels
installed at a time anyway.

If not they will quickly learn.

Many of those individuals are individuals that have no clue what they are doing and are running the latest kernel based on the word in the street ( street being the internet ) that it fixes something for them.

Good example of that is when David first introduced displayport mst support in Fedora, people that owned thinkpads jumped on those kernel+intel builds in the masses since it quickly became common knowledge it got things working for them.

One could use this COPR to get a stable
kernel I guess, but it would involve manual installation if they're
already on 4.4-rcX because RPM would view the COPR builds as older.

Nodebug ( for kernel testing ) or fetch from koji specific built is how people are ( and where taught when I was ambassador ) how to get these things if they needed a specific build.

JBG