Re: should we consider making CoDel the default to combat bufferbloat?

Dne 16.10.2014 v 16:19 Josh Boyer napsal(a):
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Reading https://lwn.net/Articles/616241/, getting myself in happily over my
level of actual knowledge about the state of things.

 From that article, it seems like it might be worth trying
net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel by default. Just tossing this out there
for the consideration of someone who really knows what they're talking about
in this area.

I think the answer, as usual, is: "It depends."  It's not a silver
bullet for all problems, but it would probably help in some cases.  I
would actually think Server could use this more than Workstation, as
the article points out that wireless networking has a number of other
issues to consider.  I've added Neil on CC, who's probably much more
equipped to weigh in on this than either of us.

In any case, if this change is done it should be done in the
initscripts package.  It's a runtime tunable and we don't need to be
patching the kernel to change the default.

Josh,
we're considering adding "net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel" to
the default sysctl config shipped with systemd.

Assuming we do that, would you change CONFIG_NET_SCH_FQ_CODEL
in the Fedora config to make it built-in rather than a module?

As pointed out by TomH in https://lwn.net/Articles/616505/, having it
as a module may require loosening the SELinux policy.
Also it seems silly to have to load a module for a distro's default.

Thanks,
Michal