Problem booting custom kernel in Fedora-20, efi related?

Hello!

I hope this is not too far off-topic..I did not see a better mailing list option.

My problem is that I cannot get a Fedora-20 machine to fully boot using
a custom compiled kernel.  This kernel works on dozens of other machines,
most of them Fedora 19 and less.  I'm building this kernel on a different
machine, then un-tarring it on the target machine, running mkinitrd,
mucking grub 40_custom file with a script, and regenerating the grub-cfg.

First thing I noticed is that the grub lines start with linuxefi and initrdefi
instead of linux and initrd.  With this fix in my script, the kernel starts
booting, but the boot process hangs when trying to handle the initrd target.

I am just putting the kernel image and initrd image in /boot as I have for
years.

Is there anything special I need to do while building a kernel or initrd
to make it work with the efi boot variants?

Any other ideas on what I might be doing wrong or how to debug it
better?

Thanks,
Ben

--